Sunday, November 27, 2016

Ohio City I (11/27/2016)

Sunday, November 27, 2016
After a rainy Thanksgiving, we had good weather to explore Ohio City. Originally the City of Ohio when founded in 1818, it was annexed to the city of Cleveland in 1854. Historically it attracted migrants and immigrants from New England, Germany, Hungary, and Ireland. Now they may come from Appalachia, Southeast Asia, and Latin America. There has been a major redevelopment effort since the 1970s that continues today, and the area is full of popular restaurants and breweries.
St Emeric Church (1924, for the Hungarian Catholic Parish
established in 1904)
Market Garden Brewery (2016 production brewery)
is right next door to St Emeric Church!
Ohio City Farm (2010), one of the country’s largest
contiguous urban farms, with the skyline of downtown Cleveland
Glass Bubble Project mural (2008) on the studio
for glass blowing and metal work
The Interactive Art of Public Housing, a mural on a
Cleveland Metropolitan Housing Authority (CMHA) building,
depicting various housing projects in the city
Forest City Bank Building (1903-1904 by Searles & Hirsh in Classical
 Revival style), listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992
Forest City Bank Building former entrance
Mural (2016, Creative Fusion project) by Erin Guido on W 26 Street
St John's Episcopal Church (1836-1838,
designed by Hezekiah Eldridge) is recognized
as "Station Hope" on the Underground Railroad,
but more likely it was that the bell tower was
used to watch for lantern signals from boats
that offered to take runaway slaves to Canada
Mural (2016, Creative Fusion project) by Mike Sobeck on W 28 Street
Mural (2016, Creative Fusion project) by Michela Picchi of Berlin via Italy
West 28th Street Murals designed by Emily Acita of AmeriCorps
and Lakeview Terrace children (note the swings)
Section of Kings and Queens of Lakeview Terrace mural (2016,
Creative Fusion project) by Ananda Nahú of Brazil
More of the Kings and Queens of Lakeview Terrace
featuring actual children from the neighborhood
Lakeview Terrace public housing was cut off from Ohio City by
 what is now the Cleveland Memorial Shoreway connected to
the Main Avenue Viaduct seen here; this roadway resulted in the
100-foot long wall that is now covered by the mural of the kids
Mural of Prince (2016, Creative Fusion project) by Glen Infante
A mural viewing the community through the windows of St Malachi
St Malachi RC Church (1945-1947 for the Irish
immigrant parish established in 1865)
Full Tilt (2016, Creative Fusion project) by Ryan Jaenke
Mural (2016, Creative Fusion project) by David Shillinglaw
Sidewalk of Buckeye Bricks at 1527 W 28 Street
Former Fire Station Carriage House (c 1850) on Franklin Boulevard
Franklin Circle Christian Church (1874-1883,
designed by Cudell & Richardson)
Masonic Temple (1932, designed by Charles Hopkinson)
Robert Russell Rhodes Mansion (1874)
Two Victorians on Franklin Boulevard, one nicely
maintained and the other in need of paint (... the
two houses are connected, so one owner?)
Stone Gables Bed & Breakfast (1883 as The Sarah Bousefield House)
Former West Side YMCA (1911), now Franklin Lofts (condos)
Tiedemann House aka Franklin Castle (1881-1883, designed by
Cudell & Richardson in High Victorian Eclectic style);
one owner (1985-1999) of note was Michael DeVinko
aka Mickey Deans, the last husband of Judy Garland
Courtyard of St Herman's Orthodox House of Hospitality
Tree stump looks like an elk with a big rack of antlers
Kentucky Garden located on the site of the first reservoir (1856) of
Cleveland; when the reservoir became too small, it was filled in and became
Reservoir Park (1890), then renamed Fairview Park (1897)
During the Depression, the Board of Education incorporated horticulture into the curriculum, and part of Fairview Park was used for this program. The area was used for World War II victory gardens. It continues as a community garden using the former name of W 38 Street.
Beyond the high fence at 3059 Mabel Court is the site of the
birthplace of Rear Admiral Isaac C Kidd, who spent his boyhood
at nearby 1830 W 50 Street; he was tragically killed while standing
on the bridge of the USS Arizona when Pearl Harbor was bombed.
Whimsical sculpture at 1718 Fulton Road
The alleged birthplace of John W Heisman at 2825 Bridge Street,
a two-family home built in 1890; since Heisman was born in 1869,
he was not born in this house; since house numbers had changed,
it has been determined that his actual birthplace is at 3928 Bridge Street
John W Heisman, namesake of the coveted Heisman Memorial Trophy awarded annually to the most outstanding college football player in the nation. Heisman played football at the University of Pennsylvania after a stint at Brown University, and later made contributions to improving the football game as a coach. He conceived the center snap and snap count (originally the center rolled the ball to the quarterback), and the forward pass because running the ball was resulting in crippling injuries with too many players swarming the ball carrier. Heisman also requested that the game be played in quarters rather than halves.
Heil's Block (1874) at 1882 W 25 Street
Metzner Building (1910) at 1899 W 25 Street
Regional Transit Authority (RTA) West 25th-Ohio City Rapid Station
(1992 - ADA compliant to replace 1955 station)
We will have to wait for another sunny day to explore the rest of Ohio City.

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Rhode Island Visit II (11/20/2016)

Sunday, November 20, 2016
Brrr! Yesterday the high temperature was 59 degrees. Today the temperature dropped and at mid-day the high was only 43 degrees. However, the night time rain cleared up.
This morning we went to Tillinghast Farm/Estates in Barrington, RI, a possible outdoor wedding venue.
Tillinghast Estates, a property of the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD)
The house contains classrooms
Kent at the very big concrete table and chairs
Looking back across the expansive property from the beach
The "RISD Beach" looking east towards Rumstick Point

Curling wave of Narragansett Bay
Phragmites australis/Common Reed
Wildlife path through the reeds
Ryan and Fiona, who is well protected from the wind
Celastrus orbiculatus/Bittersweet
Tillinghast Farm looking down towards the beach, with
Kent, Maddy, Ryan with Fiona, Kyle, and Katrina
We drove back to Providence to walk around the East Side.
First Unitarian Church of Providence (1816,
designed by John Holden Greene, as a
congregationalist church)
Statue (1930s) of Roger Williams, founder of RI,
at Prospect Terrace Park (1867) under which
his remains were entombed in 1939
View of the RI State House (1895-1904, designed by
McKim, Mead & White in Neoclassical style) from Prospect Terrace
Robinson Hall (1875-1878, designed by Walker and Gould,
in Victorian Gothic style, as the library for Brown University)

The Carrie Tower (1904, designed by Guy Lowell),
a gift of Paul Bajnotti of Italy, as a memorial to his
wife, born Caroline Mathilde Brown, granddaughter of
Nicholas Brown, for whom Brown University is named
Slavery Memorial (2013) by Martin Puryear, suggests a
partially submerged ball and chain that has been forcibly broken;
a nearby granite plaque explains how Brown University
acknowledges its ties with the slave trade
Idee di pietra/Ideas of Stone (2016)
by Giuseppe Penone of Italy; the "tree"
is on a site where an elm tree once stood;
in the background is Sayles Hall (1881)
Also on the Brown campus is Untitled (Lamp/Bear) (2016) by
Urs Fischer of Switzerland, with Katrina, Kent, and Kyle;
the lamp has a functioning light
The plush bear and lamp have melded together as
this piece explores the "inner mechanics of duality"
A statue of Marcus Aurelius Antoninus (1908), a
gift of Moses Brown Ives Goddard to Brown University
Wilson Hall (1891, designed by Gould & Angell
in Romanesque style for the Physics Department through the bequest of
George Francis Wilson who helped found the Rumford Chemical Works)
John Carter Brown Library (1904, designed by
Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge in Beaux-Arts style);
roof is edged by a créneau/battlement of a
shell design connected by scrolls carved by
stonecutters John Evans and Company
Brown University's John Nicholas Brown Gate (1903) on George Street
Annmary Brown Memorial (1903, by architect Norman Isham),
an art museum, library, and mausoleum for Annmary Brown
(granddaughter of Nicholas Brown) and her husband, General Rush Hawkins
When it was suggested that we have lunch at Olga's Cup + Saucer, we expected to have to drive out to Little Compton. However, it turns out that the seasonal bakery we knew, which opened in 1988, had moved to Providence in 1997.
Olga's Cup + Saucer
Olga's Cup + Saucer bakery display and kitchen
Fiona listens intently as Dad/Ryan
speaks via a plastic cup
Kyle and Katrina
Ryan, Fiona, and Maddy
After lunch we had to start our trip back to Ohio. Ryan and Maddy had to head back to New York with Fiona. Many thanks to Kyle and Katrina for their wonderful hospitality and tour guide services! We hope their two kitties, Lula and Sailor, survived the invasion!